Thursday, December 11, 2008

Renewed promise

Only the Lord!

This past year has been one I might be inclined to title "Mr .Toad's Wild Ride", you can substitute my name for Mr Toad! It's been one of trial and questions, things that challenged my faith in ways I had not known before. For a period of time I was bewildered, astonished, uncertain. There were days I could do nothing but cry. Some days they were tears of pity but most were days of simply crying out to the Lord for answers, for comfort, for His peace. We can read through so many things in the bible and accounts of things that people went through and not always is an answer given as to why God allowed things to happen as they did. We all know that in our trials we can use them to draw us nearer to the Lord or become so bitter by them that we find ourselves at a distance from Him.

During these times, God wouldn't let me roam far from Him. It was like He had a short leash and if I dared to run, He would pull me back to Him. His Words became life in ways I cannot explain unless you have had to cling to it as I did in order not to lose my mind. I would pick up different devotionals that were around my house throughout the day and cling to the words in them, at times begging God to show me some promise-give me hope that this too shall pass. Always, He was faithful. There were days I would cry aloud and pray to Him and then I would read a Psalm and there were some of the exact words that I was praying! Is that our great God?!! I understood for the first time what Jeremiah may have meant when he said "Your words were found and I ate them and Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart. For I am called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts." You get to the point where you crave God's Word so much-you find yourself scouring through the pages, looking for something to nourish your soul and bring strength to your body.

On the Sunday Jim was asked to pray about moving to Hungary I was teaching Sunday school and the verse for the kids that month was from Deut. 31:6-Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them, for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you." It's dated 2/11/01 in my bible.

The other day, as I was reading 1Chronicles, I became overwhelmed with God's faithfulness and once again His perfect timing. He renewed this promise to me and as I have been struggling with fear for some reason, He gave me a new verse, but the same meaning. There is an excitement that goes beyond comprehension when we read God's Word and it comes alive in our hearts and in our lives. Knowing that those words are not only for the people of old but for us! For our hurts and pains, our questions, our times of sorrow. There is so much changing in this world and yet He will never change! His Words are the same always! Nothing new can be added! What joy there is in knowing this and walking in it!

I am going to try to do a 12 Days of Christmas songs starting tomorrow! Ha ha-we will see how that goes. I had an idea to write about some of my favorites so we will find out tomorrow if it really happens or not!

I pray that your day is filled with all the goodness of the Lord!


No comments: