Thursday, March 10, 2011

Name Game

Decided it was time to give the ole blog a makeover. Believe it or not we had snow the other day!!! In March!! That is so unusual for here. We barely had any snow all winter and on the day I have to take the train to Montebelluna it snows!!
Spring is in the air and that makes me very happy!!!
I have been thinking about the Tower of Babel story and how they wanted to make the tower so they could make a name for themselves. "Come let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth" Gen 11:4
They wanted to make a city with a big tower and they wanted to make a name for themselves! When I read this it made me so sad. I couldn't help but think of the way things are today. People constantly hoping to make a name for themselves. Sadly, this isn't just corporate America we are talking about. We all know that in the work force people will do whatever it takes to 'make it to the top' to be recongnized amongst the big wigs, to rub shoulders with the right people. We expect this kind of behavior in worldly environments. What grieves my heart is seeing it in the Christian environment.
As Christians we often put down corporate America and how they operate but if we think about it, but this same attitude can creep into the church. People who want to make a name for themselves amongst other Christians. Christians who will malign, hurt, walk over other Christians so that they are more popular, more well known. Christians wanting to climb the ministry ladder.
I remember my husband telling me about a conference he was at-he was having a converstation with another pastor and as soon as 'some big name pastor' walked by, the other guy rudely left his conversation with Jim to rub shoulders with the 'better known pastor'. It really hurt him to witness this kind of behavior. Imagine how it grieves the Lord's heart when we act this way.
To what extent will a Christian go to make a name for him or herself? At what cost?
Isn't it enough to know that our Heavenly Father knows our name? When all is said and done that is all that matters. It isn't going to credit a person one bit to say they know so and so and this pastor asked him to do this and that guy sat with me, etc etc etc.

Do you ever picture the story of Mary Magdalene in the garden and suddenly Jesus says her name-Mary, and right away she knew it was Him. I think her heart may have melted within her to hear her Beloved Jesus say her name. It wouldn't have mattered to her if noone else on earth knew who she was-it only mattered that He knew her name. It's so precious to me when I think about it.

Last year we had to choose a woman from the bible to teach one for the girl's discipleship class. I had it in my mind to study Ruth or Esther but God had a different plan. He led me to Luke 8:1-3 where it talks about the different women who ministered to Christ. In verse 3 it says 'and Joanna the wife of Chuza, Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others who provided for Him from their substance.' The 'many others' were who we did the study on. We don't know their names, but God does! We talked about being content to be 'one of the others' whose name may not be known, whose name may not be printed in the program, whose name may not be easily recognizable by the 'whose who in Christian circles'. These women served the Lord and it wasn't important that their names be known. I think of how many wives in the Bible we don't know the names of. Noah's wife...we only know her as Mrs. Noah. Sometimes I wonder if the story was being written now and I had the chance, I would want to nudge someone to put my name in there because after all, being married to Noah couldn't have been too easy...who builds an ark in those days! Give me some credit please!

Oh may we serve the Lord with everything we have regardless if we are known for it. Be overjoyed that our Jesus, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords knows our name.

No comments: